September 5, 2012

7-Layer Greek Dip


Once again it is time for my weekly-weigh in. I have been working out in the mornings and in the evenings, and it is really wearing me out so I have not decided if I am going to continue that or not. Though I did lose 2.4 pounds this week, so it definitely helped.

7-Layer Greek Dip

Since I posted last week on "Weigh-In Wednesdays", I decided that these posts would give me the perfect opportunity to share some of the healthy snacks/meals that I have been eating lately. I am sorry if this post seems to be cut a little bit short but Joseph (our four month old) got his second round of immunizations this morning and he is being a little crank ball, bless his heart.

One of my go-to healthy snacks is hummus. I love to eat it with veggies and pita chips (most often I eat it with vegetables though, they're cheaper). When I came across this recipe for a greek dip I knew I had to try it, and I have to say that I love it. It is really simple to throw together and can sit in our fridge for several days. It is the perfect thing to bring to pot-lucks or small get togethers especially since it is a healthier option. From the squeeze of the fresh lemon juice, to the mint in the greek seasoning and the parsley on top, this recipe is a winner. I highly recommend eating this with fresh vegetables and Stacey's Whole Grain Pita Chips (I was not paid to say that).

7-Layer Greek Dip

Ingredients
  • 1 (8 oz) package 1/3 less fat cream cheese
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning
  • 1 (7 oz) container hummus
  • 1/2 seedless cucumber, diced small
  • 10 grape tomatoes, diced
  • 6 jumbo black (or kalamata) olives, sliced
  • 1/4 red onion, minced
  • 1/3 cup Greek style feta cheese
  • 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
Cooking Directions
  1. With an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese, seasoning, and lemon juice until light and fluffy. Spread in the bottom of a small baking dish.
  2. Spread hummus over cream cheese mixture. In order, create layers by sprinkling the cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, onions, Feta cheese, and parsley. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
  3. Serve with pita chips, fresh vegetables, and/or flatbread.
Recipe adapted from Our Best Bites and The Wicked Noodle
5 out of 5 stars
Yield: Approx. 2.5 Cups

This is seriously delicious. Enjoy!
Printable Recipe Button

1 comment:

Speak your mind! I'd love to answer any questions you might have.