September 19, 2012

Make Your Own Apple Chips

Guess what? Guess what?!? I lost two pounds this week which means I have found my rhythm. I've found the balance between eating too much and eating too little/exercising too much and not exercising enough. It was not easy, and just because I succeeded this week doesn't guarantee that it will be that way for the many weeks to come. But I am proud of myself.

Guess what else?

It is fall. Blessed, beautiful fall. My favorite season ever.

Now I realize that the first day of fall is not actually until this Saturday. But while the calendar says one thing, my body says differently. When I walk out the door I feel a chill. I can smell that the leaves on the trees are about to turn. This can only mean one thing. It's time. Time for sweaters, pumpkin, and apples; soups, cinnamon, and hot drinks.

Oh how I heart you, fall.

Homemade Apple Chips
In celebration of the (almost) beginning of my favorite season, I thought you would appreciate this delicious and healthy snack. Apple chips. They are super easy. You start with very thinly sliced apples. Any kind will do.

Homemade Apple Chips
Then, you place them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. No overlapping please.

Homemade Apple Chips
Sprinkle them with some yummo spices.

Homemade Apple Chips
And bake! These are cheaper than the apple chips they sell at the store and better tasting. Not to mention that they are fresh.

Homemade Apple Chips

Homemade Apple Chips


Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 3 large apples (I recommend granny smith, but any variety will do)
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Combine spices, salt, and sugar.
  3. Cut apples in half. Slice very thinly. Do not core, but make sure that there are no slices with seeds on them.
  4. Place slices on prepared baking sheets. Do not let apples overlap.
  5. Sprinkle evenly with spices.
  6. Bake for 30 minutes. Flip apple slices over.
  7. Bake for 30-60 more minutes or until brown and crispy.
Recipe by Half Squeezed Lemon (I added cloves)
Yield: 4 servings
Calories per serving: 102
Fat per serving: 0 grams

Happy Fall!

Printable Recipe Button

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind! I'd love to answer any questions you might have.