October 2, 2012

Teriyaki Smothered Chicken

About four years ago when I first came up here to college my parents came up to help me move in to my apartment. The night before they left we went to a restaurant and I had a teriyaki chicken dish.

I have been working on this recipe for a couple of months now, namely because I recently went back to said restaurant. I re-ordered the same dish remembering how mouthwateringly-delicious it was when I first ate it. Sadly it was not how I remembered it. In fact, it was completely different and not at all worth the money the second time around.

If you like teriyaki... no, scratch that... if you love teriyaki you will love love love this chicken dish. Assuming that you also love bacon, mushrooms, onion, garlic, and swiss cheese. But really. This is smothered SMOTHERED smothered with teriyaki love.

Teriyaki Smothered Chicken

Ingredients
  • 4 (4-ounce) chicken breasts or boneless pork chops, thawed*
  • 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
  • 3 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 4 slices pre-cooked bacon, sliced
  • 1 (12-ounce) bottle teriyaki marinade**
  • 4 slices swiss cheese
Cooking Directions
  1. Marinate the meat in six ounces (half the bottle) of teriyaki marinade overnight or for at least eight hours.
  2. Marinate sliced mushrooms, onions, and garlic in remaining teriyaki sauce overnight or for at least eight hours.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place marinated chicken breasts in a greased baking dish. Do not add extra sauce or leftover marinade.
  4. Cook uncovered for 35 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 170 degrees.
  5. Meanwhile heat a large non stick skillet to medium high heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
  6. Remove marinated veggies from marinade with a slotted spoon and saute in pan until onions are soft. Add precooked bacon.
  7. Remove chicken breasts from the oven and top with onion mixture and swiss cheese.
  8. Return to oven and cook for five mor minutes or until the cheese melts.
  9. Serve with rice and broccoli.
* I prefer this dish with chicken.
** I use Lawry's Teriyaki Marinade with Pineapple Juice.

Recipe by Amanda Jenks (inspired by a dish at Wingers)
5 out of 5 stars
Yield: 4 servings

Happy Tasty Tuesday to you!
P.S. Happy Birthday to my little brother Matthew :)

Printable Recipe Button

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind! I'd love to answer any questions you might have.