January 11, 2013

Brown Butter + Chocolate Chip Cookies

While we were visiting family for Christmas, some girls brought my brother cookies. They were so good that I begged my brother to get the recipe from them. They were the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever had. Come to find out, it was store-bought cookie dough.

At first I was embarrassed that I even asked, and I was ashamed that I loved a store-bought cookie  dough SO much. I usually prefer making things from scratch. I may or may not have even gone out with my mom to buy a five pound bucket of said cookie dough.

Ever since I ate those cookies it has become my life's mission to find a homemade chocolate chip cookie that tasted exactly like them. I've had way too many chocolate chip cookies in the meantime, but I am proud to say that I have found the cookie. The secret is browned butter. If you don't know how to brown butter, I have included a link in the recipe below. These cookies do not disappoint.

Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies www.the-taste-tester.com #cookie #recipe

Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Recipe Source: about.com

1 cup (2 cubes) salted butter, browned and cooled to room temperature
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer, beat the browned butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add egg, egg yolk, milk, and vanilla. Beat on low speed until well blended.

In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, and salt) together with wire whisk. Gradually add these dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until a soft dough forms. Scrape the bowl a few times. Stir in the chocolate chips. Cover and chill for 1 hour--- if it chills for longer it will have to thaw a bit before it is soft enough to be scooped but still firm.

Heat oven to 375°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Using a cookie scoop, drop rounded tablespoons of cookie dough two inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 6-10 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack. Devour, or store in an air tight container.

TIP: Scoop cookie dough balls onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and freeze for 1-2 hours. Remove from cookie sheet and store in a gallon size ziploc bag in the freezer. Frozen cookie dough will need 9-10 minutes to bake in a 375°F oven.

Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies www.the-taste-tester.com #cookie #recipe

Shared here: Pin Me Fridays @ Diana Rambles, On the Menu Monday @ Stone Gable

Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

  1. Thank You Purabi! I am so glad you stopped by :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never thought to brown the butter. YUMMY!

    I love all the recipes you linked this week, but I am just leaving one comment since you have captcha (word verification) on and I always have troubles getting it right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana- I had no idea that I had word verification. I will try to remove it, though I have no idea how!

      Delete
  3. Dear Amanda,
    1. I think you're wonderful.
    2. I made these cookies, and they're incredible (super good for ice cream sandwiches too! Just refrigerate them for a lil bit).
    3. While I was making these, "Only Exception" starting playing on my Pandora station, and that made me think of you, and then I smiled.
    Love,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think everything wrote made a lot of sense. But, what about this?

    suppose you added a little information? I
    am not saying your content isn't solid, but what if you added a headline that makes people desire more? I mean "Brown Butter + Chocolate Chip Cookies" is kinda boring. You could look at Yahoo's front page
    and note how they create post titles to get viewers interested.

    You might try adding a video or a related pic or two to get people interested about what you've written. In my opinion, it might bring your posts a little livelier.

    My page ... mortgage loans for people with bad credit

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind! I'd love to answer any questions you might have.