January 30, 2013

My Favorite Fried Pickles

According to David, I craved fried pickles all the time when I was pregnant with little Joe. I actually don't remember this being the case, but then again that may be because of pregnancy/mommy brain (it's a real thing, okay). I really love fried pickles so I suppose he could be telling the truth!

This particular recipe for fried pickles is one I {sort of} developed by combining two different recipes. I liked them both. They each had some good components and some less desirable ones. One day it occurred to me that if I combined the best parts of both recipes into one it would create my perfect fried pickle. It worked! They are so yummy and I love love love them.

These would make a perfect addition to your Super Bowl snacks. If you need other ideas for a Superbowl party, click here or visit my game day munchies board on pinterest.

Fried Pickles www.the-taste-tester.com #recipe #appetizer

Fried Pickles

Recipe Source: © The Taste Tester (combination of two recipes which you can find here and here)

1 (16-ounce) jar dill pickles slices
1/2 cup Frank's hot sauce
1 tablespoon reserved pickle juice
1/2 cup milk

1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup +1/3 cup all-purpose flour, divided
1 teaspoon dry dill weed

2 eggs
1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
1 tablespoon reserved pickle marinade
2 tablespoons milk

1 quart vegetable or canola oil

Drain all but one tablespoon of pickle juice out of the pickle jar. In a small bowl mix together the 1 tablespoon of reserved pickle juice, 1/2 cup milk, and 1/2 cup hot sauce. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the hot sauce mixture for later. Pour remaining hot sauce mixture over pickles in jar. Let pickles marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.

In the meantime mix the breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup flour, and dill together in a shallow dish. In a small bowl mix the remaining 1/3 cup flour, eggs, cajun seasoning, reserved 1 tablespoon hot sauce mixture and milk together until smooth. Heat oil in medium sized pot over medium high heat (I don't have a thermometer so I just test the temperature by dropping a pickle in after a while to see if it is hot enough--- if the pickle floats it is ready, if it sinks it is not).

After the pickles have marinated for 30 minutes, drain all of the marinade out of the jar. Dip each pickle first in the egg mixture (letting any excess egg drip off) and then in the breadcrumbs, coating both sides. Drop into the hot oil and fry until golden brown (about 2 minutes).

Remove pickles from hot oil onto a paper towel lined plate. Serve immediately with ranch dressing.

Fried Pickles www.the-taste-tester.com #recipe #appetizer

Do you like what you see? If so, follow me on facebook, twitter, and/or pinterest for the latest Taste Tester updates!

Print Friendly and PDF

Shared here: Pin Me Fridays @ Diana Rambles, On the Menu Mondays @ StoneGable

3 comments:

  1. I love fried pickles. They are my favorite treat. I don't fix them, but make a date with myself to go out to favorite restaurant and have oysters and pickles!!!! Too funny! No, I am not pregnant ... those days are long over. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have NEVER had fried pickles but they sound so good!!! Thanks for linking up at my Pin Me Linky Party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pickles are my favourite snack .They make my mouth water at the first site and fried ones makes me more happier and hungry.

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind! I'd love to answer any questions you might have.