July 18, 2013

The Easiest Taco Meat Ever



My go-to taco meat recipe is perfect for tacos, enchiladas, taco salad, nachos, quesadillas... the list goes on and on and on. The best part is it's 100% real. No need for taco seasoning packets here. You've got everything you need right up in the spice cupboard.

When I lived at home my mom would always flavor our taco meat with three spices: chili powder, cumin, and salt. I've debated sharing this recipe (my adapted version of her taco meat) for a while because of just how simple it is.

But, no matter how basic the recipe, it is too good not to share. Honestly it is something anybody could make and no one would ever know that you ditched that taco seasoning packet! And... it takes just as long to make as it would if you were making it with a pre-made seasoning.

My reasoning for not using a taco seasoning packet is that most of them contain MSG (monosodium glutamate). This is an ingredient I avoid most of the time as I have a hunch it contributes to the headaches I get sometimes.


Easiest Ever Taco Meat #recipe (no seasoning packets required!) | www.the-taste-tester.com
Best. Taco. Filling. Ever. For sure.

Easiest Ever Taco Meat

Recipe Source: © Amanda Jenks


½ tablespoon olive oil
1 lb lean ground turkey or lean ground beef
½ cup diced yellow onion *about ½ of a small onion
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
¾ teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, minced

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When oil is hot add onions and cook for 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally until the onions are golden and translucent. Add the ground meat, breaking it into small pieces with your hands as you add it to the pan. Cook stirring occasionally until the meat is mostly brown but still a little bit pink. Add the chili powder, cumin, salt, and garlic and stir until the spices evenly coat the meat. Continue cooking until meat is fully cooked, then remove from heat. I suggest using this meat to make tacos in these tortillas!

Serves: 4
Calories: 200
Carbs: 4g
Additional Notes: This recipe also works with 1 pound of chicken breasts or tenders cut into small chunks! Calories and carbs were calculated for using lean ground beef (93%/7% is what I use).

Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious. I love making my own taco seasoning, you are so right, everything we need is in the spice rack. And it's the best way to control the sodium in our food. :)

    Krista @ joyfulhealthyeats

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind! I'd love to answer any questions you might have.