August 15, 2013

Whole Wheat Mini Chip Pancakes



Who knew that whole wheat pancakes didn't have to taste like cardboard? These are moist, light and fluffy. No one will ever guess that you used a whole grain flour in place of the white stuff. 

Whole Wheat Pancakes with Mini Chocolate Chips! #recipe | www.the-taste-tester.com

When I was 8 or 9 months pregnant with Joey, I was grocery shopping one day and this little girl on the candy aisle pointed at me and said, "Hey dad, LOOK at that butt. It's huge"! True story. I had to look around and make sure she was actually pointing to me. 

I'm still just slightly embarrassed and traumatized about that experience. It's taken me this long to share it with all of you.

But I digress. Whole. Wheat. Pancakes. Perfect ones, if I do say so myself. Add chocolate chips for a splurge, or serve without for a healthier, non-butt-expanding option.


Whole Wheat Pancakes with Mini Chocolate Chips

1 cup whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons salted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat pancake griddle to 350˚F. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside. In a small bowl combine the egg, both milks, and orange juice. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until combined.

Whisk in the melted butter. Fold in the chocolate chips. Spray griddle with non-stick cooking spray. Pour 1/3 cup rounds of batter onto griddle, 3 at a time. Flip when underside is golden brown (2-3 minutes). Continue cooking until second side is golden brown. Serve immediately.

Recipe Yield: 6-8 pancakes
Recipe Source: an Amanda Jenks original

My Recipe Notes: 
The orange juice cuts through the sometimes bitter taste whole wheat has.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind! I'd love to answer any questions you might have.