February 29, 2012

Built-In-Bun Bratwursts

Be still my heart. I found some bratwursts in my freezer. Well actually, I knew were there and they have been for a while. I have really been trying to plan our meals around the items we already have. Which makes this blog extra fun for me because it means that I get to go to the grocery store and look at the prices of things I already have. And I do so love the grocery store.

I actually really do enjoy figuring out the cost of making things. By the way, my final prices are pro-rated which means I take the total price of something and divide it by the amount of the part of that item which I actually used. For example, this week I bought a dozen large eggs for $1.19 cents. If you divide this price by twelve you get roughly $0.10 cents per egg. So I just wanted to clarify how I calculate prices so that you don't expect to go to the grocery store and only spend $1.74 for all the ingredients needed to make, say, a Better-Than-IHOP breakfast.

That means you are going to have rollover, or extra ingredients. And, my friends, using rollover ingredients is another whole entire blog post.

Anyway, back to those bratwursts. You will need five of them. Or six. Depending on how many come in the package. But five will do. Oh, and they need to be pre-cooked.

Built-In-Bun Bratwursts via The Taste Tester

You will also need 1/3 to 1/2 of a batch of basic roll dough depending on how many bratwursts you have.

Roll that portion of dough out into a small rectangle, and cut into five even pieces.

Built-In-Bun Bratwursts via The Taste Tester

Clearly, I am a professional at cutting even pieces.

Built-In-Bun Bratwursts via The Taste Tester

Wrap one strip of dough around each bratwurst. Cover a cookie sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place dough wrapped bratwursts on prepared cookie sheet. Brush with egg white and sprinkle with poppy seeds or sesame seeds (both are optional).

Built-In-Bun Bratwursts via The Taste Tester

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until dark golden brown.

Just writing about these like thirty minutes after I ate one is making my tummy very grumbly... These are heavenly and delectable and way better than a hot dog on a store-bought bun. Don't take my word for it. Make some of your own.

Built-In-Bun Bratwursts via The Taste Tester

Built-In-Bun Bratwursts

1/3 recipe of basic roll dough, prepared in advance
5 bratwursts
1 egg white, beaten
1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds or sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough into small rectangle. Cut into five even pieces. Wrap one piece of dough around each bratwurst. Place on foil lined and greased cookie sheet. Brush with egg white and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until dark golden brown.

recipe source: A Taste Tester Original






No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind! I'd love to answer any questions you might have.