March 2, 2012

Sausage Gravy with Biscuits

This dinner was not originally supposed to be a blog post. But Then David loved it so much that he begged me to post about it. Here is the thing:

I found a yeast biscuit recipe on pinterest and really wanted to give them a try. I followed the recipe perfectly and they seemed to be working very well, until I baked them. The biscuits had a great taste but were not as fluffy as I would have hoped they had been, so even though they were homemade and are pictured here I am going to  re-work the recipe a little and see if I can make them better. Once I get the recipe right, I will post about it at a later date on this blog.

I do that with all of the recipes here on this blog. At the beginning of the week I plan what recipes to make for the blog. And then after making them, I judge (and david judges) whether or not they are blog worthy. If they are, you end up seeing them. If they are not they are either totally forgotten, or they are added to a list I have of recipes to retry.

David voted that the sausage gravy was absolutely delicious, and I agree with him. So here is the recipe.

Sausage Gravy via The Taste Tester

Sausage Gravy

8 oz ground sausage (whatever flavor you like)
1/2 medium onion, diced small
1 clove garlic, minced
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
2 cups milk
1/8-1/4  tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup sour cream

Brown sausage in large frying pan with onion and garlic, until sausage is cooked through and onions are beginning to caramelize. Remove from pan. Melt butter in pan and add flour to make a roux. Cook roux for two minutes adding milk slowly during this time. Once milk is completely added, add the browned sausage and onions back into the pan. Add chili powder, salt, and pepper. Allow the sauce to cook until it has thickened, but it should still be a little thin. Stir in sour cream right before serving on biscuits. Serves 4

recipe source: A Taste Tester Original


No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind! I'd love to answer any questions you might have.