March 7, 2012

Creamy Turkey Tenderloin

Once upon a time when David and I were first married, we were very very poor. In fact we were entirely broke. As a last and very desperate measure we both put our guitars for sale online so that we could pay our rent that month. We were not sure exactly how things would work out but we knew that they would. So we lived off what we had and we waited.

About a week later, my parents paid us a surprise visit. They brought us boxes full of food and filled our freezer with the most wonderful things. Aren't parents the best? This has only happened to us once. After that experience (which was a rude awakening) David got a better paying job and we really worked hard on budgeting our money. I guess that is kind of where this blog came from; my desire to help others use their money just as wisely. I believe you can be rich on any budget, and most importantly, you can eat like a king.

Anyway, we have long since used up the food that my parents brought us on that occasion, except for one last thing: the turkey tenderloin. I always had many ideas for using this, but I would always forget to take it out of the freezer and let it thaw in the fridge. And so it has sat there for months and months.

The other night it was very late and we were already tucked into our warm little bed. I was half asleep, which means David was either asleep or almost there. I am embarrassed to say I was thinking about this turkey tenderloin as I was trying to get some shut eye. Suddenly I had an idea. I jerked david awake and basically told him if he wanted dinner the next day he needed to go take the turkey out of the freezer and put it in the fridge. That was probably rude... He did it anyways.

And he is probably very glad because he loved this little recipe. The turkey is wonderfully tender and moist.

I would like to say that I unfortunately do not know how much this turkey tenderloin cost my mom. It was from Sam's or Costco (I am not sure which). And I cannot find a turkey tenderloin right now at any of the grocery stores here in Rexburg. So, I am basing the price for the meat off of the price per lb. of pork tenderloins (which by the way is a great meat to use in this recipe as well). In other words, the final price per serving of this recipe is more of a ballpark range than an exact amount.

Creamy Turkey Tenderloin via The Taste Tester

Creamy Turkey Tenderloin  

1.5 lb turkey tenderloin (or pork tenderloin, or even chicken breasts)

Cut thawed turkey tenderloin into eight equal pieces. Pound with the back of a frying pan until they are about a half inch thick.

3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
2 Tbsp veggie oil

Dip each piece of tenderloin first in the flour, then in the eggs, and finally in the breadcrumbs. Heat oil in large frying pan over medium high heat. Cook each side of tenderloins in oil until golden brown and crispy. The meat will not be cooked all the way through. Place tenderloins in a greased 9x13 pan.

1 Tbsp chicken bouillon granules
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbsp butter
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 a small onion diced
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup sour cream

Dissolve chicken bouillon granules in water. Add milk. Set aside. Melt butter in the frying pan you cooked the tenderloins in. Add mushrooms, garlic and onion. Saute until mushrooms are dark brown and onions are tender (this should only take a couple of minutes). Add flour to make a roux. Add milk and water mixture slowly, stirring constantly. Heat until sauce simmers. Cook for 3 minutes. Season to taste. Add sour cream.

Pour mushroom gravy over tenderloins. Cover and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 more minutes or until internal temperature of the turkey reaches 180 degrees. Serve over rice.

recipe source: A Taste Tester Original






No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind! I'd love to answer any questions you might have.