July 17, 2012

Easy Philly Cheesesteaks


This recipe comes from... Me! I know I normally just try other people's recipes and talk about what I liked and did not like about them, but this is my blog so I figure I get some creative control and can post original recipes. I don't remember why I decided that we needed to have these for dinner this week, but for some reason Philly Cheesesteaks came up very briefly in a conversation David and I had and they immediately replaced whatever else it was that I had on the menu board. Besides, we have a ton of hamburger buns from our Independence Day shindig sitting in our freezer and they need to be used up or I am going to go insane.

I have never had a real Philly cheesesteak so I am not going to claim that these are authentic. The truth is I do not even know if they're close. But I do know that they are another one of those easy summer skillet meals that can be whipped up in twenty five to thirty minutes from start to finish. Plus they are super tasty. My husband is my toughest critic and he says he would eat them again! So that is a good sign.

Easy Philly Cheesesteaks 

2 Tbsp butter
1/2 red pepper, sliced
1/2 green pepper, sliced
1/2 medium onion, sliced
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
10-12 oz. ready-to-eat roast beef lunch meat, sliced into strips
4 slices american cheese (I used Cache Valley Applewood Cheddar Bacon slices and they made these sandwiches A-freaking-MAZING. Over the top delish)

Melt butter in skillet over medium high heat. Saute veggies until tender but not overcooked. Remove from pan. Add beef strips to pan and cook until meat is hot and has a golden brown color (this takes about three minutes, so not very long). Return sauteed veggies to pan and stir to combine. Turn heat off and place cheese slices over meat and veggies. Cover and let cheese melt into the meat and veggies. Serve on hamburger buns.

Serves 4
get printable recipe here.

Recipe Source: an Amanda Jenks original

P.S.  You'll probably need napkins.


1 comment:

  1. I made these for dinner tonight and my husband and I both give it a thumbs up. Cheap, quick, and delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind! I'd love to answer any questions you might have.