April 30, 2013

Mini Frittatas

For some reason I decided today would be a great day to talk about rollover ingredients. What's that you say? Rollover ingredients are ingredients you use for one specific purpose but you end up with extra. In this post we will be talking specifically about produce rollover.

For example, say you want to make this chicken salad, which calls for four green onions and half of a red pepper. Chances are your grocery store wouldn't be very appreciative if you brought a chef's knife into the store with you and chopped one of their peppers in half, so you buy a whole one. And unless your green onions are freaking huge I'm guessing there are more than four in a bunch.

Now since I really hate to let things go bad, I will usually plan another meal that requires those extra ingredients so that they are no longer "extra". But there are some weeks where I don't plan ahead so well and I find that at the end of the week I'm stuck with a random modge podge of small amounts of produce.

I've used this rollover produce in a lot of different ways over the past couple of years since we got married, but my favorite way by far are these little frittatas. They are very customizable which means that I can pull all of that produce out and both my husband and I can fill our frittatas with what we want in them. PLUS every time we make them they are different, because I don't usually have the same leftover produce on hand.


It all starts with an egg mixture in greased muffin tins.


Then all you have to do is just plop some of those add-ins into the egg. This particular time we made them we used broccoli, red pepper, green onions, ground sausage and mushrooms (the mushrooms were sauteed with the meat). We finished the frittatas with some shredded cheddar cheese.


When they are done baking, they are these light, fluffy mini frittatas packed with veggies and full of flavor. They are one of my favorite hot breakfasts!

Mini Frittatas

Recipe Source: Disney Spoonful

4 eggs
2 tablespoons milk*
2 tablespoons heavy cream*
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
about 1-2 tablespoons of veggie mix-in's per muffin, approximately 1 cup total= broccoli, peppers, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, spinach, kale
Additional mix-in's (cooked bacon, cooked sausage, shredded cheese)

Beat eggs with milk and heavy cream. Add in salt and pepper. Divide mixture evenly between 6 greased standard size muffin tins. This is a great recipe to double if you want 12 mini frittatas. Top with desired mix-in's. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until they are puffy and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm with hash browns and a fresh fruit salad.

*You can replace both the heavy cream and the milk with 1/4 cup half and half. I just usually have heavy cream and milk on hand, not half and half.


Print Friendly and PDF

If you like what you see, feel free to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and/or twitter.

If you'd like to use this recipe on your food blog my only request is that you give credit where credit is due.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind! I'd love to answer any questions you might have.