May 2, 2013

Kalua Pulled Pork with Rice and Slaw

I just started watching Arrested Development on Netflix. Why didn't I know about this show sooner!? So funny.

This pulled pork is seriously delicious. It's the closest thing to real smoked meat that comes out of my kitchen, though someday David and I do dream of owning a smoker so we can make REAL barbecue (something we are always craving).

We've eaten this on homemade whole wheat buns and on rice, both with coleslaw. I'm not even normally a coleslaw lover, but this pulled pork makes me one every time I eat it.

On a more housekeeping sort of note, I had contemplated writing an e-book recently about how much weight I have lost while still eating the foods I love. However, after a lot of contemplation I have decided I'd rather do a blog series on the topic, so keep on the look-out for that in the upcoming weeks. I've already started working on it, and I hope to have the first part of the series up by the end of the month. If you are a fan of mine on facebook, you'll get the latest updates on posts here including this upcoming series.

Kalua Pulled Pork with Greek Yogurt Coleslaw from The Taste Tester

Kalua Pulled Pork

Recipe Source: adapted ever so slightly from Favorite Family Recipes

1 (4 lb) pork roast
2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
1/3 cup liquid smoke
1/4 cup water

Using a small sharp knife, pierce the surface of the pork roast all over. Rub the pork on all sides with ALL of the sea salt. Put the water in the bottom of a large crock pot, and then put the prepared pork roast into the water. Pour liquid smoke evenly over roast. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. DO NOT DRAIN THE JUICE. The meat should shred really easily. Serve with rice, or on buns, and coleslaw (recipe below). We like to drizzle barbecue sauce over it.

Greek Yogurt Coleslaw

Recipe Source: adapted from Lauren's Latest

1 (14 ounce) package cole slaw mix
1 (5-6 ounce) container plain greek yogurt
1/3 cup mayo
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup white vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
1/8-1/4 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
1/2 red onion, sliced very thin
3 green onions, sliced

Mix the greek yogurt, mayo, salt, pepper, vinegar, and sugar together. Stir in the cole slaw mix, red onion, and green onions. Let refrigerate one hour before serving with pulled pork.

Print Friendly and PDF

If you like what you see, feel free to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and/or twitter.

If you'd like to use this recipe on your food blog my only request is that you give credit where credit is due. For more information on using this content, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind! I'd love to answer any questions you might have.