April 26, 2012

Ham and Broccoli Grilled Cheese

Happy April 26th! I know it is just an ordinary day, but oh well. I spend a lot of time by myself lately. It gets kind of lonely, but there is nothing like a grilled cheese sandwich to warm to cockles of the heart.

Just kidding. I was hungry. It was lunch time. I had a burst of creativity (does that count as nesting?), and it resulted in this ooobery delicious, melty, cheesy, easy peasy sandwich. I love when I can make something THIS good with things that I have on hand, instead of going to the grocery store in order to calm my creative nerves. De-li-cious! 

Ham and Broccoli Grilled Cheese via The Taste Tester

Ham and Broccoli Grilled Cheese
1- 1 1/2 Cups raw fresh broccoli, cut into little florets
8 thin slices of deli ham, cut into little squares (I used black forest ham)
1 1/2 Cups shredded colby jack cheese
1/4 cup mayonnaise
Salt and Pepper to taste

8 slices whole wheat bread
Butter for grilling

Place broccoli florets and 1-2 Tbsp water in microwave safe bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 2-2 1/2 minutes until broccoli is tender but not overcooked. Cooking time for the broccoli will largely depend on how big or small your florets are, so keep an eye on them! To stop the broccoli florets from cooking, run them under cold water in a colander.

Mix together shredded cheese, ham, mayo, steamed broccoli, salt, and pepper in a medium size bowl. Spoon 1/4 of mixture onto a piece of bread. Top with another slice of bread. Repeat with remaining bread and ham mixture.

Butter both sides of sandwiches. Grill on stovetop or electric griddle over medium high heat until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted. Makes 4 grilled cheese sandwiches.

recipe source: The recipe is Amanda Jenks original, although the idea probably isn't

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind! I'd love to answer any questions you might have.