August 15, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake

Lately we have been enjoying the harvest from my parent's garden. You will see a few posts in the coming weeks about the food I have made with fresh herbs, fruits, and veggies. Last night I watched my hubby sit out on the back porch and eat a stalk of rhubarb. He picked it, washed it off with the garden hose, and ate it like it was a piece of celery. I could never do that. Rhubarb is way too sour for my taste. I know that strawberries and rhubarb are a classic combination but I had to share my mother-in-law's recipe for strawberry rhubarb upside down cake.
Strawberry Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake via The Taste Tester
You see, I felt really guilty that I posted that top secret ice cream cake recipe. It was sort of like I had sat right in front of you eating it without ever offering you a taste. And since I have felt so incredibly guilt ridden, I decided to share this Jenks family recipe with you. As far as I know it is not top secret, plus I did change the recipe a little tiny bit.

Strawberry Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake via The Taste Tester

Strawberry Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake

3 stalks rhubarb, diced
1 lb strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 cup sugar
1 (6 oz) box strawberry flavored Jello
1 (10.5 oz) bag mini marshmallows
1 box yellow cake mix, prepared according to package directions

Preheat oven to temperature listed on cake mix box directions (usually 350 degrees). Spray 9x13 pan liberally with cooking spray. Evenly spread prepared strawberries and rhubarb in bottom of pan. Sprinkle sugar and jello powder over the strawberries and rhubarb. Top with all of the marshmallows. Spread prepared cake mix over marshmallows. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. The top will look dark brown but it should not be burnt. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Flip onto cake serving platter. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

This is a beautiful dessert! Just look at that dark pinkish/reddish color. If you are not a huge fan of rhubarb I promise you will love this cake, simply because it is paired with a lot of other sweet ingredients and yet you don't lose that tart rhubarb flavor either. 

Recipe Source: Diana Jenks
get printable recipe here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind! I'd love to answer any questions you might have.