February 28, 2013

Pass the Cook Book Club: Pioneer Woman's Perfect Potatoes Au Gratin

I am so excited for today's post because it is part of a new monthly feature I will be doing here at The Taste Tester. Kita, from Pass the Sushi, started a cook book club this year. Once every month I will review a recipe here from the cook book she has chosen for that month. Today I will be sharing a recipe from The Pioneer Woman's second cookbook, The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food from My Frontier

Next month all of the members of this club will be reviewing recipes from Guy Fieri Food: Cookin' It, Livin' It, Lovin' It. So if you want to join in on the fun, click on the image below! You don't necessarily have to be a food blogger and you don't have to own any of the cookbooks Kita chooses (she emails three recipes from the book to everyone). If you would like to see other posts from food bloggers who participated in the club this month, you can scroll down to the bottom of this post.


Let me start by saying that the only thing I did not love about this recipe was that fact that it is LOADED with fat. I mean, hard core artery clogging fat. The recipe calls for one and a half cups of heavy cream and half a cup of whole milk. I thought about calculating the nutrition facts for myself but then I figured ignorance would probably be the best choice in this situation.

The good news about these potatoes is that they are perfect (like the recipe title boasts), creamy, perfectly seasoned, cheeeeeeeeeeesy and tender potatoes. There's really nothing better. Around Christmas and Easter my mom always makes a side dish called funeral potatoes. If you have not heard of funeral potatoes they consist of frozen hashbrowns, butter, onion, sour cream, cheese, and cream of chicken soup. They too are yummy, but after eating the Pioneer Woman's recipe for potatoes au gratin, I have decided that these will be my choice for a potato side dish at holidays because there's no cream of crap soup here. 

At some point I am also going to try making this side dish with cauliflower so that my brother can have a side dish to eat during our holiday feasts (he is type 1 diabetic). Whenever I give that I go I will add an update to this post and let you know how it turns out!


Perfect Potatoes Au Gratin


2 tablespoons salted butter, softened
4 large russet potatoes, scrubbed clean *not peeled
1/2 cup whole milk
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons flour
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
2 green onions, thinly sliced

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan with the softened butter (yes, all of it). Cut the potatoes into sticks and then dice. Place potatoes in prepared dish.

Combine milk, heavy cream, flour, garlic, salt and pepper and whisk. Pour over the potatoes. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 20 more minutes. Just before serving sprinkle with cheese and return to the oven for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Sprinkle green onions over hot potatoes and serve.


Print Friendly and PDF

17 comments:

  1. We love funeral potatoes, too, but since I went gluten free, I haven't had any. I think with little tweaking on the type of flour, these will be a nice substitution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen, thanks for stopping by! You will have to let me know if a different flour substitution works so I can tell all of my friends who have to eat Gluten Free.

      Delete
  2. We call funeral potatoes "cheesy potatoes" in my family :) This recipe had tons of fat in it, I had to cut most of it out to not feel guilty feeding it to my family, and it was still amazing! Your pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erin! I am going to try your lower fat version soon!

      Delete
  3. Oh, the cauliflower option sounds sooo good. I WILL give that a try, too. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made the potatoes too, I bet it would be awesome with cauliflower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? We are going to try the cauliflower version next time my diabetic brother is in town.

      Delete
  5. your picture is making me want to try this dish although m not much of a potato au gratin person

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dixya, you should try the recipe with cauliflower if you prefer that over potatoes. Though I dare say this recipe is good enough to make you a potato lover.

      Delete
  6. I had never heard of funeral potatoes but I am down with anything that has hash browns. Love the idea of making this with cauliflower too! Thanks for joining as and including great links back to the group and next's months book! I'm looking forward to it already :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I am loving this idea you came up with.

      Delete
  7. Were these not the most amazing potatoes ever?

    I want them again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was all set to make the potatoes for this month, but I totally balked at the idea of making anything with that much cream. (Of course, I then made something with eggs and chocolate and whipped cream on top... so much for that!)
    I'm thinking of trying a lower-calorie version of this dish, though, because creamy potatoey goodness is my idea of comfort food heaven. (And a version with cauliflower? Yes please!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your potatoes turned out wonderful, love the photos and your casserole dish is lovely. I like your idea of trying this dish with cauliflower that would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love that casserole dish. It's a Giada de Laurentis ceramic dish from target. Someone gave it to us for our wedding.

      Delete

Speak your mind! I'd love to answer any questions you might have.